- Kindly send resume, a cover letter that elaborates on how your strengths fit with our needs), preferably hard copy, and salary requirements to:
James Lange, CPA/Attorney
2200 Murray Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Registered Investment Advisory/CPA/Law Firm seeks a Marketing Director with a passion for marketing, and a willingness to work hard both independently and in collaboration with Jim Lange, the principal of the firm and the rest of the marketing team. Our marketing channels include: Direct mail, the Internet (we have several prominent websites and 10,000 e-mail newsletter subscribers), professional and client workshops, as well as client development, and back-end product sales. We have 6 best-selling books and offer CDs, DVDs, and other information products to both consumers and advisors.
Serious candidates should take the time to explore our website:
Responsibilities of the Marketing Professional Include:
- Marketing roughly 12 educational workshops per year sponsored by our firm, for clients and prospects recruited primarily through direct mail. Historically, we have “filled the room.” The Marketing Professional may be required to attend at least half of the workshops (held on Saturdays) and provide the introduction for Mr. Lange. Strong interpersonal skills are essential as you will be required to converse comfortably with clients and prospects.
- Primary responsibility for piecing together a monthly newsletter using a combination of resources and submitting one article to the Jewish Chronicle.
- Booking keynote-speaking engagements with organizations such as the American Association of Independent Investors, the Organization of Chinese Amerians, Tri-State Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, Westinghouse SURE group, and/or other organizations serving retirees.
- Expanding our direct-mail program to encourage clients and prospective clients to schedule meetings with Jim Lange and other members of the legal and accounting team. The Marketing Professional will also be responsible for coordinating a sequence of communications to prospects that have indicated some interest in working with our firm through some combination of the following media:
- Series of email using Infusion soft (don’t worry, we have a wonderful full-time internet marketing director and an internet marketing assistant so you don’t have to be technical, but you will have to write or edit existing copy).
- Direct mail (mailing letters, books, articles, etc.).
- Follow-up telephone calls.
- Writing sales copy including workshop invitations, sales letters, newsletters, web text, blogs, social media posts, and marketing pieces such as brochures and invitations. (We have a wonderful editor/writer subcontractor who will work with you, but providing a first draft is an important part of the job).
- Seeking appropriate venues and arranging for paid and unpaid speaking engagements for Jim (Jim has received speaking fees as high as $10,000/day).
- Help us get coverage in local and national press, especially when we write a new book which can be estimated to be two books per year.
- Help us market the book, including giving away free copies to interested parties.
- For a truly outstanding candidate, we would consider a telecommuting component to the job—not a full-time telecommuter, but it could be negotiable.
- We have a bi-weekly financial talk radio show, The Lange Money Hour, Where Smart Money Talks, featuring guests such as John Bogle, Ed Slott, Jane Bryant Quinn, Roger Ibbotson, and other top IRA and estate planning experts in the country. You would assist with recruiting guests, producing the show, marketing the show, and possibly help us convert that show from an “audio only” which it is now to having a video component. You can listen and/or read the transcript of many of our shows on our website’s archive of broadcasts at www.paytaxeslater.com.
- At the moment, we aren’t doing much with LinkedIn. I think we should be. That would likely be one of your responsibilities.
We currently have a marvelous marketing team in place. You would either fit in with that team or if you have enough experience and expertise, head that team as Marketing Director.
Strengths needed to make the job work:
A successful candidate will have:
Some experience in financial services is preferable, but not mandatory. A passion for marketing, a willingness to work collaboratively and take direction, and also a strong level of independence and initiative. Jim Lange studies marketing and copywriting experts like Dan Kennedy (Jim is also a private client of Dan), Gary Bencivenga, and many others. The office has an extensive marketing library with books, CDs, DVDs, and newsletters which will provide resources to advance your marketing training. Openness to taking direction from Jim Lange and the advice and recommendations of some of the country’s top direct marketing/information is essential.
A willingness to make phone calls and to speak persuasively to create opportunities for our company.
A knack for meeting people, telling them what we do and building strategic relationships that, over time, will benefit the firm.
The ability to write persuasively for sales letters, newsletters, web text and blogs, web copy, etc. This is also a skill that can be learned and improved if you are willing to learn.
Why would you want to work for us?
For the right candidate, this would be a fun and fulfilling place to work. The salary and benefits are competitive with room for advancement. You would have your own office and a full marketing library. You would be working with great people to help you do your job including a wonderful project manager, internet marketing director, client coordinator, graphic designer, editor from heaven and wonderful webmaster. Jim himself is a seasoned master marketer, and you could learn from him.
The work you would be doing would sincerely help people. The educational materials we create could help the vast majority of the working public. You would have the pleasure of promoting the best services available in the financial/estate planning arena.
Our financial firm combines some of the best big picture concepts as well as cash-flow, retirement and estate planning advice available combined with low cost index investing. Our law firm offers what we believe is the best estate plan there is for traditional families: Lange’s Cascading Beneficiary Plan™. If you don’t believe us, you may believe some of the people who have given our bestselling book, Retire Secure!, (Wiley, 2006 and 2009) glowing testimonials: Charles Schwab, Jane Bryant Quinn, Larry King, Roger Ibbotson, Burton Malkiel, and dozens more.
Our strategies were quoted (with attribution) 33 times in The Wall Street Journal.
Our Roth IRA conversion strategies are the best in the industry. One of Jim’s books, The Roth Revolution, also received the highest praise from top IRA experts including Ed Slott, Natalie Choate, Bob Keebler, Barry Picker, and many more.
We are extremely ethical and enjoy stellar client satisfaction and a 96% retention rate in conjunction with an index advisor that we work with closely.
Our excellent staff is among the best the industry. Both our professional and support staff have been together for years. (Members of our staff and length of service: Glenn Venturino, CPA, 29 years; Steve Kohman, CPA, CSEP, CSRP, 21 years; Matt Schwartz, Esq., 14 years; Diane Markel, CPA, MBA, 17 years; Karen Mathias, Esq., 8 years; Shirl Trefelner, CPA, CSRP, 3 years; John Montoya, Esq., 1 month; Eric Emerson, 3 years; Bryan Tann, 6 months; Sandy Proto, Project Manager, 25 years; Alice Davis, Client Service Coordinator, 14 years; Donna Master, Bookkeeper, 19 years; Daryl Ross, Paralegal, 18 years; Carol Palmer, 6 years).
We have working relationships with excellent money management firms including DiNuzzo Index Advisors, Inc., Fort Pitt Capital Group LLC, Cookson Pierce and others (visit their websites for more information). Currently, we are marketing money management services using low cost index funds with Dimensional Funds Advisor funds. Our money management clients enjoy the combination of excellent investment services and advice, and our tax-savvy strategic retirement and estate planning advice for a fee of 1% or less of invested assets. We are growing at between fifty and sixty million dollars of assets under management per year. For candidates who don’t know what that means, it is in the top 2% of all advisors.
What Makes Us Unique
Many owners of small professional service firms don’t really buy into the importance of marketing. Getting the boss to loosen the purse strings is like pulling teeth. Jim Lange gets it. Jim has immersed himself in studying marketing and he understands the critical role that excellent marketing plays in the success of the organization.
We offer competitive wages, a company 401(k) plan, medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
Our offices are located in the heart of the commercially vibrant Squirrel Hill neighborhood in Pittsburgh.
If you are looking for an exciting marketing opportunity in a growing firm and want to work directly with a small group of intelligent and dedicated professionals, we want to meet you.
If you are interested, please send us a cover letter that elaborates on how your strengths fit with our needs and a resume. Thank you.
P.S. Please be advised that your cover letter carries considerable weight in deciding who to interview. All reasonable letters will be personally read by Jim.